Monday, November 23, 2009

Turkey Day

I cannot believe it is already Thanksgiving week. My mind is stuck in summer and my body has jumped ahead to its annual post-holiday winter weight. The last part is mainly due to a terrific "extended" summer of BBQs, beer, and finding something to celebrate every week. Current goal? Eat a light, yet satisfying meal on Thursday. Wish me luck.

This Thanksgiving will be spent at my parents with 12 other family members. My mom usually prepares the entire meal, but this year I kindly asked if we could have a side dish or two that was slightly healthier than her usual menu. If it's not soaking in butter or sugar, my mom doesn't find it worth eating. Mind you she's 122 pounds and clearly does not understand the restrictions of a slow metabolism or the concept of Weight Watchers (something that I have to follow to a T). While she won't give up her menu, she is letting me make three dishes. Cranberry sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and a surprise dish. I tested Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potato Mash tonight and it was bland at best, so now I am on a desperate search for a good sweet potato recipe. My surprise recipe? Brussels Sprouts with Crisp Prosciutto. Don't hate. I tested these tonight as well and they are DELICIOUS. If anyone knows of a great sweet potato recipe, please share! My mom is already making the traditional yams, brown sugar, butter, and marshmallow casserole, so that's out.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to leave you with a few things I am thankful for:
1. Family
2. Having a job
3. Our Troops

Things I am not thankful for include co-workers clipping their fingernails at their desk (or on airplanes) and whoever it is that insists on heating up fish in the open kitchen area that is by my desk. Come on people, let's practice some common courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment